our history

Edinburg United Church traces its roots back to 1823 with the founding of The Congregational Church, which began with eight members. They later joined with the Methodist Church in Edinburg in 1921 to become a Federated Church and in 1923 the name was changed to its current name.

The present church sanctuary was constructed between 1842 and 1844 and was the Congregational church structure. The Methodist building was demolished and the property sold to add to the general fund of the United Church. On March 12th, 1961 Edinburg United Church officially joined the United Church of Christ. An educational wing was built in 1960 and the church built a parsonage in 1966 for $33,502.20.

historic photo of Edinburg United Church

The current steeple replaced four spires that were taken down around 1920 by Bill Reiss. He took the six-foot long spires to his home to use as a yard decoration. Within the steeple sits a large community bell with the date 1844 inscribed on it. It still rings today, calling the people of Edinburg and its surrounding communities into faithful discipleship within the church with the white steeple.

Read more church history »

church bell

United Church of Christ